It’s been a while since I’ve done a portrait. I didn’t want to be sideswiped with issues so I started up front to figure out where I thought I might have some difficulty. I had a list of things I wanted to do before I put any more paint on the canvas. I started with the general figure, and did a basic sketch. These aren’t about perfection. These are about figuring out what I don’t know. Where I’m going to have issues. Making me look closer at my subject so that I actually see what it is I’m painting. I noticed that I didn’t have the angle of his face, and I needed to be careful of this when I started working on the painting. I also realized that I had no idea how his fingers were placed.
So, I also did a sketch of his hands, after working on the larger image, counting and recounting until I came up with ten fingers!
I know that I want to use the bubble idea, so I practice making bubbles on one of the other canvases that I used in preparation for this painting. I already have an idea for this canvas.
Another day’s work done, and another step closer to completion!